Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Embedded Stories


One night I sat cross-legged on the floor behind my artist friend. She is so gifted, and in fact is the cover artist for both Pumping Your Muse and Windwalker. This particular night she looked at the woodgrain of a piece of wood and saw a baby bird. To help me see it, she pulled out a sketch pad and drew it. Then I could see what she saw.

When I was a child, I saw two people in the woodgrain of the door to my parents bedroom. That image made enough of an impact that I remember it 50 years later, but never thought of writing a story about those people until now.

Prompt:

Today's prompt can use this photo or you can find your own natural wood to "see" your story. Instead of drawing a picture, we'll extract a story. This one may take you to dimensions of your imagination you've never visited before. You'll have to let me know what you find.

No comments: