You’ve probably heard the old adage, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” Today, I’d like to look at one word and see what kind of picture you can “draw” from it. Can you turn that picture into a thousand words? But you know me. I’ll add a little twist to it. The word won’t have just one definition and I want you to show at least two of those definitions in your writing or at least have fun trying. I do want you to enjoy the creative process!
Photo credit: pixabay
Today's Writing Prompt
Today’s writing prompt is a dictionary prompt.The word to consider is providence.
- Meaning 1:. The protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power.
- Meaning 2: Prudence in the management of one's concerns or in private economy
- Meaning 3: Foresight; timely care; particularly, active foresight, or foresight accompanied with the procurement of what is necessary for future use, or with suitable preparation. How many of the troubles and perplexities of life proceed from want of providence!
This can be fiction or non-fiction. You don’t have to use the word but you have to show it in action. To nudge your muse (if it needs it) here is a short list of scenarios to consider.
- The life of a person who is homeless and without hope is turned around through a series of coincidental encounters.
- A couple who has wanted a child and been turned down at every turn ends up with a family of three children in the end.
- A person who is crushed by loss and thinking of ending their life finds new purpose in helping others through their loss.
- A wealthy woman who has no family learns she is going to die.