Sunday, October 11, 2026

Show Us November Without Saying It

It's been a couple of years since I've written a new prompt for this blog, but I've had so many visitors using it, I've decided to add new content as I update older posts. 

First, thank you so much for visiting Pumping Your Muse Writing Prompts. It's nice to have you here. I started this blog years ago, when I had a book called Pumping Your Muse available. It did well, but it needs updating with all the technological changes that have happened in regards to the tools we use to get the job done. At this time, my writing efforts are concentrated on two other books.

Today's post is a challenge to show and not tell. I'm big on that. Because it's an area where my writing continues to grow. I admire writers who do it well. 

 

Show Us November Without Saying It

Writing Prompt: Show Us November Without Saying It

The trees stand nearly bare, their last leaves skittering across the ground. The morning air nips at exposed skin, and the days seem to grow shorter with every passing sunset. Somewhere, a chimney sends a thin ribbon of smoke into the gray sky.

But you can't use the name of the month.

Your challenge: Write a short scene that makes readers recognize November without ever naming it.

Use sensory details, weather, seasonal activities, familiar sights, or the emotions this time of year evokes. Maybe your scene takes place around a family table, on a windswept country road, or beside a window streaked with rain.

The rules:

  • Don't name the month.

  • Don't mention a date or read from a calendar.

  • Show the season through your character's experiences and surroundings.

  • Make every detail count!

Bonus challenge: Can you make readers identify the month without mentioning Thanksgiving, either?

Share your scene in the comments. Let's see how well you can show instead of tell!


Let’s connect! 

Whether you're a new writer or a seasoned storyteller, there's always room to grow. Pumping Your Muse Writing Prompts offers creative challenges to spark your imagination, strengthen your writing skills, and help you discover new ways to bring your stories to life.

If you'd like to learn more about me... 

📖 Visit my book review blog for you next read at Book HookUp 

⭐ Follow me on Goodreads for updates and reviews across all genres - Goodreads Books I've read
  📸
Join me on Instagram for quotes, bookish highlights, and behind-the-scenes posts My Instagram
 
 🐦 Follow me on X (Twitter) for quick book insights and discussion as well as news about my own books. Donna Sundblad
 
 👍 Visit my author website: donnasundblad.com

 

My Newsletter: Imagination in Ink

👉 Sign up now and step deeper into my world. Join my mailing list

As an author of fantasy and historical western romance. Once a month, I open the door to my writing world and share what I’ve been working on, what’s coming next, and a few things you might not find anywhere else. 

Pull up a chair, and let’s see where the imagination takes us this month. ✨ 

📬 One email. Once a month. No spam. Just story.

No comments: