Friday, October 24, 2008

Flip Side Scene


I want to take a moment to thank everyone for letting me know how much they enjoy the prompts here at Pumping Your Muse Prompts. You just make my day!



When I was a child, I shared a bedroom with four sisters. My bed, was the top bunk bed next to the window. Bed times were early, and I'd often spend the time before sleep, sketching what I saw outside. I noticed details I normally wouldn't notice. How tall the cypress trees were, the wire climbing the back of the neighbor's house, laundry left out on the line. Outside that window I could see stories to be told. 

With that said, let's get writing. Take a look out your window. What do you see?


Outside my window, raindrops splash in a small puddle on the sidewalk. A gray tabby stands at the door waiting to come into the house.

Pumping Your Muse Prompt:

For today's prompt we're going to write a flip side scene. For those of you who own my writing book, you'll know what this means. For those who don't: Write a short scene incorporating the weather outside your window. Then rewrite it flipping at least three details. For example, I'd look out the window in my flip side realm and see the cat sleeping in the front garden in the shade of the azalea bush, while squirrels forage for nuts they'd buried. This changes rain to sun, cat waiting to come in to cat sleeping, cat at the door to cat in the garden. Or, I could bring the cat inside waiting to go out!



Creating a world in the flip side gives birth to new ideas. Give it a try! You'll soon realize you're not in Kansas anymore.

Photo credits: wikimedia, personal photos

* * *

If you enjoy prompts, check out Pumping Your Muse. The prompts included in this creative writing book challenge the imagination to take new direction and if followed to the conclusion of the book, provide a detailed outline along with completed scenes and developed characters for one novel, as well as a solid start for a second novel.

No comments: