When you start a new story, or get bogged down in a work in progress, this prompt can help you get to know your characters on a new level. It may also reveal the detail that sparks your creativity, and not only develops your character, but adds fodder to pull from as the plot unfolds.
Pumping Your Muse Prompt:
Character Interview Questions:
- How old are you?
- Where were you born?
- Who do you look like? Your mother, father, or someone else?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters?
- Are you married or single?
- Do you have someone you care about?
- Did you or do you know your grandparents?
- Is anyone in your family famous?
- Are your parents still living?
- Are you adopted?
- What do you like to drink?
- Are you a morning person?
- What are your hobbies or interests?
- What do you do for a living?
- What is your education level?
- What's your favorite food (or drink)?
- Do you travel much?
- What do you hope to accomplish in the future?
- Do you like to read?
- Where are you going?
Which Describes You Best?
- Nervous or calm
- Teacher or student
- Leader or follower
- Brave or fearful
- Religious or superstitious
- Humble or proud
- Tall or short?
- Long hair or short?
- Honest, stretch the truth when necessary, or all out liar
- Introvert or extrovert
If you have other questions or suggestions to add to this list, please be sure to comment.
* * *
If you enjoy prompts, check out Pumping Your Muse ebook. The prompts included in this creative writing book challenge the imagination to take new direction and if followed to the conclusion of the book, provide a detailed outline along with completed scenes and developed characters for one novel, as well as a solid start for a second novel.