Monday, August 25, 2008

Expanding Your World Vision in Fiction


Today is the day I meet with my young writer's Pumping Your Muse class and I've decided to give them a different kind of exercise today. I figured if they can do it, you can do it.

Read your existing scene. Now close your eyes. You can sit, lie down, whatever, but I want you to do this for 5 minutes. From where your character stands, look north, east, south and west. What do they see? What do they smell? And what do they hear?

When you are done, jot down new information and then take time to sketch a world map. This doesn't have to be anything fancy. The only one who needs to be able to interpret it is you! As your character moves about, you'll know where they are headed, and if they reach the border of your map, extend your vision.

Creating a map will help you see where your character is going and keep details consistent.

No comments: