Monday, August 24, 2009

It's Alive


Before we talk about today's prompt, I want to point you to a story based on the Flyswatter prompt from last week. The Day of Small Things can be found on "My Scattered Stories". It has a Twilight Zone feel to it, so if you like that kind of thing, be sure to stop by for a break from reality.

Today's prompt is inspired by my childhood when I believed my toys came to life at midnight while I slept. I used to line up stuffed animals on my pillow until there was no room for my head. After all I wanted them to be comfortable! I converted other kids in the neighborhood to be believers. Mothers would call my mom to complain their children would not go to sleep at night because they were waiting for their toys to come to life!

Pumping Your Muse Prompt
Many a horror movie depicts inanimate objects that come to life. We have the car in Christine...houses that take over with garbage disposals, stoves and other items taking charge, or the classic Frankenstein. In space, things like the computer Hal takes over in 2001. I could make a list of such stories, but I don't want to tarnish the path your muse will follow for this one. For today's pumping your muse prompt, breathe life into something unexpected. If you choose something from the plant world give it the ability to reason and make it mobile. The same goes for choosing anything from the insect world. This can be fun, scary or somewhere in between. Enjoy!

* * *
Check out Donna Sundblad's latest interview at Authors Unleashed

Buy Donna Sundblad's books:
Windwalker
Beyond the Fifth Gate
Pumping Your Muse





No comments: