Saturday, April 04, 2009
Interview Your Character
Writing is a process and character development is part of that process. It is so much easier to know what your character will do when you understand them. One way to know your character, even a new or complex character, is to interview them.
Questions to include should be about their backgrounds, interests and other things than give them history.
Pumping Your Muse Prompt
Choose one of your characters and interview them. Ask the following questions or others to get the information you want to know.
1. Where were you born?
2. Who are your parents?
3. Are you close to your mom or dad?
4. Do you have any sisters or brothers?
5. What level have you completed in school?
6. Do you have a trade?
7. What do you do for a living?
8. What's your favorite food?
9. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
10. What would you like to accomplish in life?
11. Who is your best friend?
12. What is your favorite mode of travel?
13. What bothers you most?
14. Do you play a musical instrument?
15. Do you have a love interest?
16. What do you do to relax?
17. What do you read most often?
18. Do you have a secret?
19. If you could change something about your life, what would it be?
20. (Choose your own question(s)...I'm sure what you've learned has generated one or two.
* * *
Check out my latest interview at Stories That Read You.
And my 4 star review at Teens Read Too!