Collecting details from real life offers realism to your writing. The trick is to learn to pay attention to those details so you can incorporate them. In the busyness of the holiday season, it's easy to get caught in traffic, a long line, or have the phone ring when you're walking out the door.
Pumping Your Muse Prompt:
Keep a notepad with you and keep notes on running late. (This can give you something to do when your stuck in traffic, or even waiting in line.) To collect the details, answer the following questions:
- How do you feel physically?
- What thoughts run through your mind?
- How do you feel toward those around you?
- How do you treat those around you?
- Do you do or say anything you regret later?
- How do you deal with the stress?
These kinds of details can help deliver an active, engaging scene even when you're character is standing still.
* * *
To support the author of this blog, consider buying her books.
Pumping Your Muse (Creative writing book)
Beyond the Fifth Gate (Fantasy)
For more about the author of this blog check out Theinkslinger.net.