Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Animal Behavior

Writers strive to show not tell. One way to accomplish this is behavior. Don't tell the character is angry. Show it. For today's prompt we'll have fun with animal behavior.

Choose at least one of the following:

bird
dog
cat
horse
or choose another animal

Now SHOW that animal:

angry
relaxed
happy
hungry
moody

Keep these tidbits in a journal where you can find them later.

Check out more articles and classes on writing at the Inspired Author
or my fantasy blog for writers

2 comments:

Tom Bailey said...

This reminds me of my short story and creative writting class every time I read these. They are simple and they would have been very helpful when I was doing short stories.

I would just write with my eyes closed on a large pad and then "try" and rework the grammar later.

Donna Sundblad said...

Perhaps within your heart a writer awaits nourishment. You'll find not better way to feed it than write. But you do that regularly on your blogs. Maybe in your freetime you might consider writing fiction.

Donna